Traffic Tickets

Information on Tickets

Traffic tickets are filed by the issuing officers in the county where the violation occurred. At the time you receive your ticket, the officer will provide you with a copy of your ticket. On the back of the ticket will be the name, address and telephone number of the court where your ticket will be filed. Please give the court office a call if you have any questions.

Also on the back of your ticket will be a place for the officer to indicate how much you owe for your ticket. Not all violations have a set fine. If the officer has a scheduled fine for your violation, the officer will indicate the amount on your copy. (The amount of fine is doubled for violations committed in a construction zone and school zones.) If there is not a fine amount indicated, you must call the court in the county where you received the ticket prior to the date located at the bottom of your ticket.

Contesting a Ticket / Applying for Diversion

If you wish to contest the ticket that was issued, you will need to call the court by the date on the bottom of your ticket to have the matter set for trial.

To inquire about a diversion or any other plea negotiations concerning a traffic violation, you must contact the county attorney's office in the county where you received the ticket. The telephone numbers for the county attorney's for this district are as follows:

  • Ellis County - 785-628-9405
  • Gove County - 785-754-2425
  • Rooks County - 785-425-6371
  • Trego County - 785-743-5458

Paying a Ticket

Court costs must be paid for each case that is filed with the court and are in addition to the amount of the fine. If you are charged with more than one violation on your ticket, there is only one set of court costs. The court costs are set by statute and are payable whether or not an appearance in court is required.  You may pay your ticket at  

The date on the bottom of your ticket is actually the date your ticket is due to be paid. You may call the court if you need an extension of time.

Failure to Pay

Failure to take care of your traffic ticket by the date due will result in your driver's license being suspended (K.S.A. 8-2110). If you are a Kansas driver and your license is suspended for failing to comply with the terms of your ticket, there is a reinstatement fee of $122.00 assessed for each count on your case.

Out-of-State Drivers

If you are an out-of-state driver and your license has been suspended for failure to take care of a violation in Kansas, you may owe a reinstatement fee to your state. It is your responsibility to produce proof of payment or compliance of a Kansas violation. The court will send you a notice to provide to your State's motor vehicle department.

Failure to Appear in Court

If your ticket is one that requires an appearance in court and you fail to appear, the Judge may order a bench warrant to be issued for your arrest.


Depending on your situation, tickets may be payable online at There will be a transaction fee charged by the credit card vendor. You may also send payment to:  Centralized Court Payment Center, PO Box 750200, Topeka, KS  66675-0200.